Friday, August 26, 2005  

Shudder to think.

When my new job starts I will have completed eleven months and one week of unemployment, I think that’s long enough for me to have my say about the industry I worked in for almost fifteen years. It didn’t bother me one bit that I had compromised my principles, working for multi-national corporations, you do what you have to in order to look after your family, but I have to say the prospect of going to work for a non profit making organisation is one I’m feeling really good about at the moment.

I’m still not going to reveal the name of the company I worked for, suffice it to say I worked in the speciality chemical industry, specifically personal care. Personal care covers everything from washing powder to toothpaste and deodorant; the company I worked for made, among other things, the stuff you put in your washing machine to make your clothes soft and prettily scented. I wonder how many vegetarians use this type of product. I wonder how many would use it if they knew what went into it. Well, let’s see…. Take a shit load of dead cows and boil them down, add a nice amount of a chemical that causes liver damage and contact dermatitis. You then boil this mixture to remove any water that may be present. After this you add a chemical that is described on the safety data sheet as, and I quote:

“The substance is corrosive to the eyes, the skin, the respiratory tract. Corrosive on ingestion. Inhalation of the vapour may cause lung oedema. Ingestion of the substance may cause oedema of lips, tongue and pharynx. The substance may cause effects on the liver, kidneys and central nervous system, resulting in impaired functions. Exposure above the OEL may result in death. The effects may be delayed. Medical observation is indicated. Lungs may be affected by repeated or prolonged exposure to the vapour. This substance is probably carcinogenic to humans.”

If you manage to survive this process you then add a shit load of nail varnish remover and a bucket of anti-oxidant. I’m sure the customer adds an enormous amount of water to the finished product in order to make it go further, but all that stuff is in every bottle you buy.

It’s been a little quiet on here of late, but I have been very busy getting things sorted. Today I was informed by my local dole office that they wont give me any cash for new work clothes, suits aren’t cheap, well some are but I don’t want to turn up on my first day looking like fucking Jose Mourinho. Along with the clothing grants the dole have also cut all training funds and removed the transport to interview money. So, if you’re unemployed the government wont train you to do something new, wont help you get to interviews which are sometimes hundreds of miles away, and if after all that you actually manage to get a job, they wont even buy you a pair of novelty socks to wow your new workmates. No wonder the town centres of this country are full of poorly dressed half wits that have only tore themselves away from daytime TV to go to Gregs and get a sausage roll. This country is fucked, and these smelly ill mannered Burberry clad fuckpigs will be looking after us when we retire. It makes me shudder; it also makes me want to emigrate before I retire.

| posted by Simon | 4:32 pm | 0 comments
information
links
writing
a good book
tres bon
visitors
mogo
my sites
nostalgia